Friday, February 29

Show some love.

How many people remember that one fighting game from Capcom, that wasn't Street Fighter? If you said yes, and you weren't thinking of Tech Romancer, or Power Stone then we are on the same page. I am of course talking about Rival Schools. This short lived series debuted in arcades then shortly found it's new home on the PSX. It was a 3D fighting game like no other. It was like in all instances a slightly less frantic 3D version of marvel vs. Capcom.
The game takes place in a Japanese town where the students from...(wait for it) Rival Schools are constantly battling with one another. it isn't until later on the characters learn they are being used in a sort of mind control experiment, to create young powerful warriors. The characters are based off different high school stereotypes. From the Sexy School Nurse Kyoko to the soccer playing Roberto, to the American boxing Cheerleader Tiffany. (not so much the boxing, but the blond hair and big...chest area)
In the game the player could choose a team of two characters from the roster 20 characters. Fighters couldn't be switched out mid fight like MvC, but they could be called in for an over the top team up move. Between rounds the player could switch between the two characters. The super moves, the team-up attacks, and the air combos made this an instant classic. The character designs were also top notch.
Fast forward 4 years. Rival Schools, Project Justice was released for the arcades and the Dreamcast. The graphics were updated, and the roster was increased to 25. This time the player could choose 3 characters, and could use the Party Up attack, where all three characters would come out and rain pain down on your opponent. Each team (school) had a specific party Up attack, and one generic one if you decided to mix up the characters. This was one of the reasons why I had to get a Dreamcast. Sadly by the time I got one, I could no longer find this game, so I spent hours in the arcade playing this game. I still have my Dreamcast and I'm still looking for this game.
While looking up info on Project Justice I came across this petition to Capcom, pleading for them to put Project Justice on the PS2. Now this would be great, but an XBLA downloadable game would be better. Either way I would love for the chance to play this game again. if you feel the same way I do about this series, feel free to sign the petition. Even if it doesn't get Capcom to port this over to another console, it might get them thinking of doing another Rival Schools game. We are up to Street Fighter 26, so I doubt Rival Schools 3 would be to much to ask for.

Here is the link for the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/033072/

Get your friends, and family to sign it. I know I am.

No comments: